60 Minutes False Benghazi Reporting “Apology” Too Little, Too Late (VIDEO)

Published On November 11, 2013 | By james |

On Sunday, CBS’s 60 Minutes finally used its broadcast to apologize for airing an erroneous Benghazi story in which their key witness, Dylan Davies – at the time of the attack a State Department security officer – is now known to have given different accounts of his whereabouts on the night of the attack to the F.B.I., than he gave to CBS.

On Friday, Lara Logan – the show’s host that had been working the story about the 2012 incident in Benghazi that killed 4 Americans including US Ambassador Christopher Stevens – appeared on CBS This Morning to issue an apology. At the time, it seemed a precursor to a more fleshed-out accounting of exactly how the network was duped for the coming episode of 60 Minutes;

“In this case, we were wrong… we made a mistake… Dylan Davies described for us his actions that night… and after our report aired, questions were raised about whether his account was real, after an incident report surfaced that told a different story… what we now know is that he told the FBI a different story…”

However, if one was under the impression that CBS would use the opening of Sunday’s episode to clear the air and perhaps try to regain some credibility, one would have been dead wrong. Incredulously, they chose to wait until the final minutes of the show’s close to even mention it. Additionally, the cursory apology that they did air – which lasted one minute and sixteen seconds at the very end of the hour-long episode – was woefully incomplete. Logan claimed, in part;

“…after our report aired, questions arose about whether (Davis) account was true… Davies… insisted the story he told us was not only accurate, it was the same story he told the FBI… When we discovered the account he gave the FBI was different than what he told us, we realized we had been mislead, and it was a mistake to include him in our report…”

One minute and sixteen seconds to recant an incendiary story that has fed the right-wing disinformation campaign for weeks and weeks. Really?

The tragic Benghazi story has been so hugely divisive in our national discourse it surely should have warranted a full segment – if not the full HOUR – to reset the story and perhaps begin a new and more level political dialogue about what lead to the security breaches and how we can collectively move forward. Instead, 60 Minutes pulled the ultimate “cut and run.” And the damage has been done.

Sorry, 60 Minutes. After growing up with you and looking forward to your weekly broadcasts, I am no longer a fan. You have lost all credibility.

Watch;

– james | Founder | Chief Editor | The Everlasting GOP Stoppers

Like what we do? Make a secure donation here!

facebook.com/TheEverlastingGOPStoppers                                                       twitter.com/theGOPstoppers

Find TEGOPS:

james

Founder | Chief Editor at The Everlasting GOP Stoppers
Like what we do?  Make a secure donation! You can also help support us by sharing our stories on social media using the icons below!
Find TEGOPS: